Prime selling season is just gearing up, and a lot of agents are going to be advising DC metro home owners about upgrades and repairs to do before putting their houses on the Washington DC real estate market. We have a round up of the top five projects that have been shown over time to have the best return on investment.
1. Start with the exterior of the home. A new front door, good porch lighting, and clear house numbers all attract buyers. Splurge on a few new plants that can be seen from the curb. The first impression of the home is made in the first few minutes, so be sure to go for maximum impact.
2. Paint. This is one of the cheapest ways to transform a space. A creamy, warm white is a great choice. It’s neutral, yet inviting, and leaves space for people to imagine their own furniture and style in the house. In the kitchen and bathrooms, painting cabinets is an inexpensive way to update the look.
Simple Projects Make Washington DC Real Estate Shine
3. New fixtures. Swap outdated door knobs, drawer and cabinet pulls, and light fixtures. These are all pretty simple projects, but it’s surprising how much better a room will look after new fixtures are installed. Even just putting in brighter lights or a few new lamps can dramatically enhance the feel of a room.
4. Redo floors. If possible, rip out wall to wall carpet and install a laminate, hardwood, or ceramic tile floor. Most people prefer these to carpet, as they are easier to keep clean and cut down on allergy problems. At the very least, get carpets steam cleaned by a professional.
5. Pay special attention to the kitchen and bathrooms. These are the rooms to spend money on. A new sink or backsplash in the kitchen and new tile and grout in the bathroom are pretty quick to do. These types of changes will instantly make these rooms feel fresh and cared-for.
If you have questions about how much your DC metro home is worth now, be sure to speak to an experienced agent. The tools at some of the big real estate aggregators can be wildly inaccurate!